Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Eli Stone: Watch It


The show is brilliant. I say this with confidence after a whopping 2 episodes.

There are many TV shows that I love because they are awesome, funny, suberbly well made, and entertaining. But, few of them have made me laugh as much as Eli Stone has, especially in only 2 episodes.

Johnny Lee Miller is excellent, I have known this for a long time. He has the ideal comedic presence, along with an appropriate amount of coolness, charm and honesty, to be a great and memorable character.

The show is not only funny, but it's smart. There are times that interactions between characters could come off as lame or preachy, but they end up being hillarious while wallowing in truth and genuine humanity. For a show about a lawyer who hears things, that's saying something.
And for the icing on the cake? George Michael has so far been heard in each episode.
If you want a comparison think--Ally McBeal before it was lame.
If you want to catch up on the first 2 episodes, you can see them on ABC.com and the regular time I believe is 10/9c on Thursdays on ABC.
There are moments that are just wonderful, it's such a unique television experience. No kiddin'.
Some of my favorite quotes thus far:
Especially for Katie- "There's no future in existentialist ethics, so I got into acupuncture."
"I didn't come here for a theology seminar. I came here so you could stick me with a needle so that my life could stop providing its own soundtrack."
And the more meaningful reality check-
"Could be worse…you coulda spent 10 hours hidden in the back of a flatbed truck to come over here and get a job for 3 dollars an hour pickin’ strawberries in the 90 degree sun, 12 hours a day; turns out the pesticide the farm used made you infertile but that’s the least of your worries ‘cause that citizenship test you took was a fraud so they’re gonna deport you back to the country you risked everything to leave in the first place."

No comments: