Thursday, January 27, 2022

Musical Flavor #493, Marvin Gaye, 'Here, My Dear' (1978)

  #493- Greatest Albums of All Time

Everyone knows Marvin Gaye songs. "I Heard it Through the Grapevine" was a favorite as a kid--thanks California Raisins! "What's Going On" is still too relevant and, of course, "Let's Get It On" & "Sexual Healing" will live forever. But I don't know a LOT of Marvin Gaye songs and I didn't know much about him as a person. 

This particular album is interesting here on the 500 because it didn't do well. After his marriage failed he wrote this hoping that it would fund his alimony. He owed millions in taxes at the time and his addiction to cocaine was...not going well.  

Interesting side note: his marriage may have failed, in part, due to the fact that he had a child with his wife's very underage niece. #Problematic! The girl was also the niece of Motown founder Barry Gordy. Marvin's wife, who was unable to get pregnant, adopted the child and he was named Marvin III.

I also did not know that Marvin was killed by his own father (a minister), who had abused Marvin for his whole life. His father was given a reduced charge due to the discovery of a brain tumor. Dr. Dre is said to be working on a biopic that will come out in 2023. It'll be quite a story. 

The best (non-tragic) thing I learned in doing some research was that he was greatly influenced by Frank Sinatra. 
What a brutal life. Yet, a voice so sweet. 

Would I listen again? Meh...this album is not music I enjoy actively listening to. It was great background music for reading about his life but I wouldn't be likely to put it on for fun. 

I don't dig it so much, but it's been fascinating. I suspect I'd enjoy the words in their poetic form more so than as songs. He was going THROUGH some things. 
I did dig most of the 8 minutes of "A Funky Space Reincarnation", that one I'd listen to on purpose. 

No comments: