Saturday, October 14, 2006

Movie: Man of the Year


Starring: Robin Williams, Laura Linney, Christopher Walken, Lewis Black, and Jeff Goldblum.

I was so enthused with the beginning of this movie. It creates an illusion of how politics should be. It's so much fun. You're thinking--I want to go vote right now! Yes! John Stewart for President!....I mean.....Tom Dobbs. It's just a movie of course.


Sadly, like the 2000 elections, not everything turns out how it should. Laura Linney, as usual, plays an infuriating character with awkward lines that should have been but out right from the beginning. (I like her but her characters are always twitchy and crap.)

Robin Williams was funny. He really did take on his role I thought. However, the movie wasn't meant to be stand-up and Christopher Walken can only do so much. I think perhaps the writers should have decided what kind of movie they were going to make before they started filming and the editing crew could have hacked up about 20 minutes of boredom.

I'm not terribly angered that I paid to see it, but I was expecting much more than a few clever moments. If you have the opportunity, just watch the first 20 minutes or so. It'll make you long for the kind of politicians that we deserve to have.

No comments: