Saturday, April 26, 2008

The Forbidden Kingdom


The film isn't getting great reviews but that's greatly from the side of the critics from what I can tell. I, on the other hand, thought it was quite fun. I like Jackie Chan, he's funny and he can defy gravity. Jet Li isn't as entertaining as an actor but he's just as awesome with the kung fu moves. (Probably more awesome technically but I'm not an expert.) I read one review somewhere that said "Finally and Jet Li and Jackie Chan movie! But with someone else's story." Well, get over it. English is not high on the list of Jet's talents and really how much Jackie do we need to hear? I thought it was a perfect vehicle to get us to where we needed to be. Transitions are weak and yes the story is semi-ridiculous but since when have kung fu movies been about anything but the action? You don't go see a movie starring two of the greatest martial arts actors to get deep dialogue. You go to see what magic they can do.
As always, people have not yet learned to go watch a damn movie for what it is and not what they had in mind. If you think you can do better, then please go do so.
I recommend this if you want a lot of action but not a lot of violence. If you can figure out what that is. It's not too often that we get a whole lot of butt kicking with a minimum of blood. I believe that we can thank the Asians for that. The scenery is lovely as well. And I like the story, I don't care if it's predictable and goofy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jet Li Monkey king is the best part in the movie.